Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Pasta-thon 2: Pasta with Italian Sausage, Spinach and Peppers

The half-marathon is 4 days and a drive to Arkansas away, but the pasta keeps cooking. This recipe is from a magazine... either Martha Stewart, Rachel Ray's or Southern Living... don't have the original page anymore to give proper credit - my apologies. I usually half this one because typically the pasta's with wilted spinach aren't as good reheated as they are round one.

INGREDIENTS
- 20 oz. package sausage (we like the pecan jalapeno kind because we're spicy)
- 2 yellow bell peppers cut into bite size strips
- 1 small sweet onion cut into strips (sometimes I omit this, other times I use a quarter of a yellow onion)
- 14 to 16 oz. pasta (I use spaghetti or angel hair)
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. chicken broth
- 6 c. baby spinach
- Sprinkling feta or Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS
- Cook sausage in skillet until edges brown (note: I used pre-cooked sausage but do this to get the sausage hot and because I like the texture better).
- Add onions and yellow peppers and cook until tender.
- Meanwhile cook pasta with salt and red peppers added to the cooking water.
- Once pasta is cooked, drain pasta water (reserving a cup) and return to pan.
- Toss with sausage mixture. Stir in chicken broth and enough pasta water to thin (I rarely use the whole cup).
- Add spinach and toss until begins to wilt.
- Sprinkle with feta or Parmesan to serve.

Pretty pasta to serve, but cools quickly so you gotta serve fast!

No comments: