Thursday, March 10, 2011

Support

I read something the other day that had suggestions for single moms of new babies. One of the suggestions was to become indispensable at work and one of the ways it suggested doing that was taking classes at a community college. Really? REALLY? Because if I'm able to shower before noon I feel like I should win a prize!!!

Anyone who has a new baby without love and support from family has a tough road to travel... this road is tough enough with it! We are so fortunate to have all the love, help and support we do during this time.

Family
This little girl has so many people that love her. Uncles and Aunts and one very sweet little cousin. A great grandad, a Ninny and Opa (great-grandparents), a Nana and Papa, an Ami and a grandpa... I cannot say enough what a blessing that is and what a blessing it was to have my mom here week 1 and Cathy (Michael's mom) here week 2! I was able to catch up on sleep, shower, and get out of the house some to feel like a human being. Week 3 Lillian's Ninny (great-grandmother) came up with my mom and more help ensued. With a surgery (thank you c-section) and a fussy sleepless baby, our family is a tremendous support to us now just as they were all pregnancy! It has been so fun watching Lillian with our family... and it's only going to get better as she becomes more interactive.

Lillian with her Ami (my mom)

Lillian with her proud Papa (Michael's dad)

Lillian with her Nana (Michael's mom)Lillian with her Ninny (my grandma, her great-grandma)
Friends
We have also been blessed with a tremendous bunch of friends during this time! Friends that visited us at the hospital, brought us meals, have offered to watch this little one while we sleep or go out to dinner, those that came from far away to visit (some who even brought my Ninny up with them!) and friends with advice! It seems like such a silly thing to love, but for me Facebook was very important in L's first month. Our friends near and far - especially the mommies, some as new as I am - have been such a tremendous encouragement to me as I swim through floods of ideas for getting our baby to sleep and/or stop crying, etc. I have no idea what I'm doing, let's face it, and that support system makes me feel like that's normal!

Husband
Oh Michael the dad. Where do I begin? I had no doubts about this support system! It's no surprise to me that Michael cheered me on through labor, reassured me through the c-section, stayed with me every night at the hospital on an uncomfortable sleeper sofa, and is always asking "what can I do?" now that we're home with our sweet daughter. It's no surprise ... but that doesn't make me any less thankful!

No comments: