Monday, June 8, 2009

The Move

We close on our house this Friday and the big move is upon us. Today they are supposed to finish the foundation work and we should be able to assess the success this evening. Yesterday was the first day that we packed together - as opposed to one of us packing odds and ends on our own - and though we got a lot accomplished there are still a lot of little things that need to be put in boxes. (Like, ahem, everything in our kitchen.)


It's pretty exciting as this is our first house and because it feels more like our first place together than our apartment did. Because I moved into the apartment first and lived there for about 6 months before we got married, it felt a lot like we moved Michael's stuff into a place that I was living ... I guess because that's exactly what we did. Now we'll get to pack our things and have a true merger of our stuff when we get to the new house.

The house is also different because we know that we'll stay there for a while and we can really get settled. Since my Junior year in college I've changed residences at least once a year. My senior year at A&M I moved in with Meredith, then my first year of grad school I lived with Marcus, then with cousin Stephen for a semester. Then I moved to San Antonio for about 11 months and lived with mom, then to Austin. In Austin I lived by myself in an apartment for about a year, moved out and ended up living with a lady from church for a few months (that's another story), then got an apartment again in Austin by myself. After living in that apartment for just under a year I moved to Dallas. Between the moves that Michael and I have helped eachother with and the moves of others, we have been part of a LOT of moves over the last 5 to 6 years and we are sure looking forward to settling down.

All of this is made more joyous by the seller who has turned out to be a really cool lady (aaaand she's had some great furniture that she wanted to unload that we have purchased!).




2 comments:

Paula said...

so fun!! i can't wait to see pics of everything once yall move in! good luck with it all!

Mel said...

This is so wonderful for you both. Just think, when you unpack that last box, it will be the last for a very, very long time. Do you have enough boxes by the way? Have you been stockpiling again :-)