Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Cell Phone in a Man Hole

Last Saturday night we got back to our apartment after having dinner with Stephen and Brianne (shout out guys!) to find one of our 'usual' parking spots still open on the end of a row. Michael opened his door first and as I watched him turn to get out of the car I heard the familiar noise of a cell phone hitting the pavement. This was followed by the unfortunate 'plop' that made Michael say "Are you kidding me?!" and made me want to laugh like I sometimes do when it is totally inappropriate.
You see, there is a drainage ditch there on one side of that parking space and EVERY time I get in or out on the side of the car where the drainage ditch is I think "it sure is a wonder I haven't droped anything down there yet" (since as some of you know, I am the one that flushed an entire set of keys down a movie theater toilet).
Anyway, I held in my laughter wondering if I could lighten the mood by saying "Well, I guess you'll be getting that iPhone you really wanted..." while Michael walked over and tried to pry the cover off the man hole. We ended up having to get some tools from inside and sure enough Michael got the lid off. Looking down into the hole, the cell phone was sitting on top of some firm mud (not submerged in water, HOORAY), but was out of arms reach. As I wondered how we could hook that cell phone with a coat hanger Michael began taking off his jacket and shirts so he could climb down in the hole.

Long story short, Michael dropped down into the man hole, explored a bit with his flashlight (might as well, while you're down there), rescued his phone, and lived happily ever after.



We figured it was as good a photo op as any!
































2 comments:

Mel said...

Please tell me at least one of you yelled "fire in the hole" at some point during the experience, 'cause I would have. That is too funny....

Unknown said...

haha we didn't, but who knows - if we keep parking by the drainage ditch perhaps we'll get another chance....