Friday, March 13, 2009

It's Snow Fun!

Well well, it's been a while!

Since I last wrote about the half marathon, Michael has run yet another one, that (really this time) mark the end of "marathon season" as it has been dubbed. Finishing with a smile and a high five, I succcessfully caught up with Michael at miles 6, 9 and the finish (13.1). I'm so proud of him and his physical accomplishment and so proud of myself and my navigational accomplishment of catching him at three different places throughout the race (four, if you count the start)! ha

And since the last half we ran together we've worked very long hours at the office, done who knows how many loads of laundry, watched our good friends Amy and Ben get married (YAY!) and had the opportunity to go on a very fun ski trip with three other couples from our college circle of friends.


We had a WONDERFUL time on our trip getting to spend time with the Ksionda, Skow and Bayles families (or was it the Bayliss family?) and getting to ski for the first time in a long time. Michael and I skiied all three full days (if that counts as an accomplishment) - 2 days at Snow Basin and 1 day at Powder Mountain. True to the name of our blog, Michael skiied 'in the fast lane' in a squat position with poles tucked in his armpits while his I, 'White-Lightning-wife', cautiously zig zagged her way down the slopes (not so true to the name of our blog). We sat in the hot tub every night, some days more than once, and remembered to buy an ornament this trip since we forgot on our honeymoon. I made my first REAL snowman that was actually 'life-size', we had snowball fights, rode sleds and had a wonderful vacation - our first as a married couple other than our honeymoon.


Never surprised by this, I always enjoy how small the mountains make me feel and what a wonder they are. The last day that we skiied at Powder Mountain was the best in this regard. One of our last runs we passed a "Run Closed" sign that had been taken down and skiied (Ben and Ashley Skow, Ben Bayles, Michael and I) into a low-incline (hallelujah!) hill surrounded by Aspen trees and pines with undisturbed snow resting in banks along both sides. It was so still, so white, and so peaceful... If I'm truthful, somewhere along that wonderous and peaceful trail we stopped to rest and ended the peace and quiet in a snowball fight, but I loved it all the same. Loved all the natural beauty, loved our wonderful friends, was grateful that we have the physical ability to ski one weekend and run another and was so so so so glad that no one was hurt.


Last but not least, speaking of injury.... Michael will have to post his sledding video of him hitting the hidden rock on the sled. (As promised, no one got hurt in spite of the horror you hear in my voice when I see him bail from the sled).


Love for you all this week!

Natasha

No comments: