Monday, February 23, 2009

What a Novel Idea

Reading is fun again! Who knew?

So the first time I'd read a real book in a long time was on our honeymoon when I read, The Kite Runner. I blew threw the book, engrossed by the characters and anxious to get to the ending (in between snorkeling, kayaking, repelling, etc. of course! this was our honeymoon after all) and now it seems that one book was all it took to get the ball rolling! Since the honeymoon Michael has made a New Year's resolution to read at least one book a month and I sort of jumped on the band wagon. Kite Runner, The Secret Life of Bees, Water for Elephants and now the Lovely Bones have all been my entertainment since we began our reading kick. (On a side note, The Kite Runner movie is much more enjoyable if you've read the book and though a good movie, the book is much much better.)

When I was little one of the things I loved most was that we never had a budget for our reading materials. Mom and Dad always said that we could always buy books or magazines because they liked that we were readers. I suppose that shows I always liked to read and just went through a little burnout period during highschool and college when more of my reading was required. Then of course I got out of college and began working. That was when I met Melissa which sparked a little "I wish I was more of a reader" phase. Melissa'd always share about what she'd been reading or what her husband was reading. I envied the time she made to sit down with a good book... and they had a toddler! (Love you Melissa!)

Anyway, I don't know as though there is a particular purpose to this blog, except to say this is some of what we've been up to these days and perhaps to see if anyone has any recommendations or a book trade they'd like to make! But, don't even talk to me about Twilight - I, like my good friend Paula, currently refuse to read this book because of all the hype :) - be strong Paula!

Hope all of you are well!
Natasha

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love to read again, too! I hated it during college, but now I devour books. Well devour is a strong word, but I go through them quickly.

I have some recommendations, so remind me next time I see you and I will tell you some great ones...I finished some of them in one day each.

Have a great day!

Mel said...

I'm so glad you are having fun!!! I NEVER succumb to the hype of a book (right now it's Sawtelle I guess???) but I did with Twilight, and was pleasantly surprised!

Sara said...

Whenever you give in, I have all 4 twilight books that you are welcome to. :)

Paula said...

We live in a Twilight obsessed world, Natasha, and it's our duty to resist! We can do it!