Thursday, February 12, 2009

We're Going the Distance, We're [Not] Going for Speed

The more I hear people talk about the first married Valentine's Day, the more it seems there is a lot of pressure for it to be some fantastic magical experience, however this year (as has been the case for a couple of years actually) we are running a half marathon right around this love-fest of a holiday and our plans are not that of a normal couple around Valentine's.

Different than previous Valentine's Days we are married, and different (in a bad way) from previous races, my knee has been hurting quite a bit this round of training. The furthest I've run is 6 miles. Race day will be the first day that I try my planned strategy of run 10 mins and walk 1 unless you count last night's short run. I've decided this is going to be a hard race for me and my goal just needs to be to travel 13.1 miles on foot... Michael has decided I'll probably cross the finish line in tears. ha This is likely true!

Michael on the other hand has already recently run a half-marathon as a warm up and has planned to run this one for speed... but today he is down for the count. As I write he is sleeping in our bedroom drugged up trying to get better from the fever and whatever else was plaguing him last night. Hopefully we'll both be in better shape come Saturday when we will be driving to Austin to eat pasta, sleep and wake-up and race.

I suppose since this is a sort of 'tradition' it does have some Valentine's significance. Michael and I ran our very first marathon there in Austin back in 2004 (I guess it's our ONLY actually) and we were broken up or on 'a break' at the time. That race was before Valentine's and we fought the night before and then had this unification through pain and suffering over the course of 26.2 miles that we didn't even run together. On Valentine's THAT year some of our friends got engaged (now they're having their first baby) and Michael and I ended up meeting at Cheddars for dinner after I met up with the newly engaged couple to take some pictures - Michael asked me out to Cheddars over IM *sigh* now THAT was back in the day!

Many Valentine's have passed since then all with their little quirks and funny stories to tell, so I don't see why this year would be any different. I say, Valentine's Day, here we come! To carbo load, endure the lunacy that is running 13.1 miles, and ready to enjoy all the fabulous metaphors that come with an experience like this... well, except in this case Michael has already warned "I'll have to leave you this race, because I'm running for speed." haha

May our love go the distance, may our feet never tire and may there be a feast at the finish line.

Much Love!
Natasha

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You do whatever you want on Valentines day!! :) We do.

I didn't know you were both such runners! That is really cool!

Happy Valentines Day!